150 years celebration of Racing. 1864 is a symbolic year for both the Victorian Racing Club and Marea Bright Melbourne Milliner.
As far back as 1864 when Marea’s maternal great grandfather, Samuel Pope Davis, won the Melbourne Cup on Lantern and to the present day, Marea and her family have had a life-long association with racing.
Her father, the late Frank McIntyre and brother, both jockeys; her mother, Rita, a tailoress, all led Marea to fashion and millinery. In 1964 Marea qualified with a Diploma of Millinary and Design and has built a career and a proud reputation, stemming from her passion for quality workmanship and designing innovative custom made headwear.
In 1999, the late Frederick Fox LVO, the Queen’s Milliner, invited Marea to London to assist him in his New Bond Street Salon where she attended to his high profile clientele on a day to day basis, along with managing production and staff.
Since 2009, Marea has realised her lifelong dream of having an exclusive and specialised atelier and hat shop in Melbourne’s CBD. Marea’s salon offers the service and quality of yesteryear and Marea is continually inspired to create new season collections.
Throughout a career full of personal and professional achievements, the following stand out as perhaps my proudest achievements.
- Invited to London by Frederick Fox Esq L.V.O. (Milliner to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II) to become his personal assistant, managing the business in his absence
- As a firm believer and advocate of high standards and quality within the millinery trade, I held the position of President of the Millinery Association of Australia Inc. for 2 terms
- Award winning collaborations with prominent Australian designers to create hats for Golden Gown, Melbourne Gown of Gowns and the Australian Masters of Fashions Awards
- Member of Judging Panel for numerous VRC Melbourne Cup Carnivals – Myer Fashions on the Field. Derby, Cup and Oaks days
- Created the winning hat for the 1992 Melbourne Cup Carnival overall fashions on the Field winner, judged by the Queen’s couturier Sir Hardy Amies
- Designed the winning hats for 7 Derby Day Fashions on the Field entrants
- Coordinator of Fashions on the Field for the Murrumbidgee Turf Club, Wagga Wagga for almost 10 years before relocating to London
Jellina de Vries
★★★★★ 3 months ago
Marea is a very talented and wonderful milliner. She made a very impressive hat for me and I could not be happier! A true Melbourne icon. Thank you so much Marea, I am so grateful for what you have created for me :-)
★★★★★ 3 months ago
Marea is an amazingly talented woman who has not only made me new hats ( to match my fabulous spotted shoes!) but has remade some old tired numbers - I have a whole new wardrobe for spring carnival ( and summer and autumn and OS events !!!)
Her hats are not only beautiful but they are so comfortable to wear and they sit perfectly even in high winds at country tracks !
Wagga Gold Cup 2014 Best Hat Award - Samantha Parsons
Thank you Marea!
Thank you for making me feel so amazing! That hat was truly incredible and so comfortable. I loved it and couldn't ask for anything more. It was such an amazing fun day! I loved it! I will certainly be coming back to you for my next hat. God was definitely shinning on us both X
From winner of Wagga Wagga Gold Cup Best Hat Award, May 2014.
★★★★★ 4 years ago
Marea made me a beautiful hat for the races... had compliments all day.. Felt a million dollars.. Rachael